A creativity centre and home of the Okanagan School of the Arts, the Shatford Centre has a history of almost 100 years with a wealth of history, legacies and visionaries.
The building was almost lost. A citizens’ campaign to save the building from demolition and refurbish it for civic uses was successful.
The 30,000 square foot Shatford building, with classrooms, studios and a recital hall that seats up to 300 people, has been renamed The Shatford Centre operates as a conference centre and events facility, and houses the Okanagan School of the Arts.
The Shatford Centre was originally named the Senator Shatford School after the recently deceased former Member of the Legislative Assembly in British Columbia and later Senator Lytton Shatford.
Completed in 1921, it is one of Penticton’s most important heritage facilities. The late-Victorian eclectic Senator Shatford School is a two storey brick building on a raised basement, located on 2 acres on the Penticton Secondary School Campus. The school is fronted by a fieldstone wall and a row of mature maple trees, both of which date from around 1915.
Established in 1960 as the Okanagan Summer School of the Arts, through George Gay, Eva Cleland, Edith Sharp and other arts and culture pioneers in the South Okanagan region, is one of the longest running schools of its type in Canada. In June of 2011 the Okanagan School of the Arts moved into the building and began its programming and administration of the building. A wide variety of performing and visual arts courses for students of all ages and stages are offered year round in many disciplines and houses periodic visual art exhibitions.
Greyback Construction won the Thompson-Okanagan Commercial Building Award for Renovation and Restoration in 2012. This award recognized the work accomplished in Phase 1, which allowed the neglected and vacant Shatford building to open to the public once again.